Friday, December 21, 2007

Cookies for Santa



My baking is complete, as finished as it is going to be. I only made three types of cookies this year. I feel thats not too bad as it will be just 3 of us this Christmas. I made one batch for each of the boys and one for Santa :) Plus, a pan of fudge which is my personal favorite, I have a terrible sweet tooth. Like so many of us, I use all of my Mothers recipes, the ones we know and love best. Mom used to make at least 15 different types while we were growing up. Then out of the blue she gave me her cookie cutters shortly after I was married. I was thrilled to get them, but thought it odd, did she not want to have fun making cookies anymore? Last year I divided up the cookie cutters and gave them to my daughters with a nice note in each pretty box. Now I understand why Mom passed them on to me. I've made those cut-outs for 37 years. It used to be such fun, the girls would excitedly roll and cut them out. Everyone would get a bowl of icing, a jar of sprinkles and we would decorate them all. An old German recipe, they make a ton! Busy teen age years came and went, the girls married and left. Each year I stubbornly continued to crank out the cookies, me, myself and I. Then a bell went off in my head, and as my Mother did to me, I passed them on with love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh!! Send me a bucket full of those!! Your cookies are THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!