Wednesday, November 30, 2011

And the countdown begins!

How can this be possible, 24 days until Christmas! It seems to sneak up on me every year, and now my countdown Santa says 24 days... yikes!
The Christmas totes are up from the basement and this week I'll be spreading my treasures through out the house. Our Christmas tree is laying on the living room floor, waiting for the tree stand to be found. Cleo is getting ever so excited with each new addition to my decor, you know how cats are, always curious!


I am in a pretty good place with my shopping and have it all wrapped and boxed to send. The bulk of our gift giving has to be mailed and I like to get the out of towners finished first.
With so much to do this time of year I try to keep our meals simple, this pot pie is easy to make and our Sons absolute favorite comfort food.


Here is the recipe if you would like to give it a try!
Vermont Chicken Pot Pie
5 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
3 cups warm chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme
salt to taste
4 cups cooked chicken meat, cut into bite size pieces
3 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
2-2-1/2 cup Bisquick
2/3 cup milk
Melt butter in a large pot. Whisk in flour and cook over medium heat 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually add warm stock, whisking constantly. Stir and simmer 20 minutes until gravy thickens. Add pepper and thyme, salt to taste. Add chicken and simmer until heated. Stir in sherry, pour into 2-quart casserole.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Beat 2 cups Bisquick and milk adding more Bisquick if needed to make a manageable dough.
Turn onto floured board. Knead until smooth, about 30 seconds. Cut to fit top of casserole. Use scraps to make a design for top of crust. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes.

Playing some Christmas tunes and wearing your favorite little Christmas apron will make cooking ever so cheerful. Maybe a little glass of reindeer wine or a nip of that sherry will help as well, it's all about keeping stress free this time of year!


Cleo is catching the Christmas spirit also. She loves her warm little Santa hat, knitted especially for her by a very talented Etsy artist.


Have a jolly week!

1 comment:

Roberta said...

Boy, and doesn't Cleo look absolutely thrilled to be modeling her adorable hat. She's a character. All your food looks so beautiful, but to me simple means leftovers but I'll have to try your pot pie. I know my guys would really like that, too. Happy Christmas countdown! ~Roberta